Certified Diabetes Educator
A certified diabetes educator is a healthcare professional trained to teach patients about diabetes, improving blood sugar control and to benefit health. A certified diabetes educator works with people at risk for developing diabetes (metabolic syndrome, coronary heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, etc), with prediabetes (impaired fasting glucose and/or impaired glucose tolerance) and with those who have diabetes mellitus.
In Canada, certification for diabetes education is granted by the Canadian Diabetes Educator Certification Board. To become a certified, the professional must:
- Be licensed in a recognized healthcare field (with a regulatory organization)
- Have at least 800 hours experience in diabetes education
- Show knowledge and competency in a wide range of area, including:
- understanding of the pathology of diabetes mellitus
- controlling blood sugars
- medications for blood sugar control
- complications of high blood sugars and associated medical tests (cardiovascular disease, nerve damage, kidney disease, etc.)
- nutrition therapy
- exercise therapy (safe and effective limits)
- self management
- foot care
- diabetes during pregnancy
The benefit of consulting a certified diabetes educator include getting up to date information and advice based on the Canadian practice guidelines, improved blood sugar control, reducing cardiovascular risk factors, monitoring of health status, encouragement, coaching and mentoring for self management of general health.
As a chiropractor and clinical exercise physiologist with years of experience in private practice as well as in cardiac rehabilitation (including a diabetes-specific exercise and lifestyle program), JD has a unique set of qualifications in diabetes care. These allow him to provide counseling on blood sugar control, nutrition, and lifestyle interventions, to monitor and rehabilitate injuries, to assess/prescribe and supervise exercise therapy based on needs of the person, their medications and their health status.
Back to the top.